Friday, September 25, 2015

We Have the Power to Transform Matter!

Happy Fall!

I firmly believe in making learning enjoyable and connected to the real world, even though we are a "testing grade".  Yesterday, we made "school-made" applesauce in a slow-cooker.  Little did I know that this fun Fall activity would lend itself so well to introducing so many science concepts!

Wednesday was the Autumnal Equinox (first day of Fall), so we discussed Earth's movement (rotation and revolution) in relation to seasons.  Apples are in season during Fall, and I love food, so this lead to a conversation about matter--we observed both qualitative properties (color, form, state, sinks/floats in water, magnetic/not magnetic, reacts to acids [vinegar]) and quantitative properties (I reviewed using a balance to measure mass) of an apple.

Thank you to all the parents who sent in these beautiful, delicious apples!

Then we talked about energy's role in changing the form (shape) of apples when our bodies transfer potential energy from the food we eat to kinetic energy used to cut the apples,

Thank you, Mr. Drugg, for helping cut apples!

and how the transfer of electrical energy to thermal energy changed solid apples to liquid applesauce.

I am even looking forward to future Math connections to this activity, such as when we learn to measure angles later this year and recall that Earth's axis tilts 23 degrees, or when we learn to use multiplication to convert measurement units (pounds to ounces).

8:00 Thursday

9:30 Thursday

11:00 Thursday (right before I made it nice and smooth with my immersion blender)

After chilling the applesauce overnight, we enjoyed it today with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

(I forgot to snap a picture before we devoured our treat today!)

We even integrated Language Arts!  I introduced haiku poetry, and while we lined up for transitions, both classes composed haiku poems about Fall.  Haiku poems originated in Japan and are 3 lines: 5, 7, and 5 syllables per line, and rarely rhyme.

Fall Haiku 
By: Ms. Kirkham's Homeroom

Summer into Fall
Leaves are so cool and awesome
Leaves are red and brown

Fall Haiku
By: Mrs. Remley's Homeroom

Fall is not scary
Fall, Fall, wind, breeze, trees, grass, leaves
(Can you think of a 5-syllable line to finish our poem?  :-))

What do you enjoy most about Fall?  

I love the colors!  I remember the first time we visited my husband's family in Virginia during Fall.  I was amazed at all the colors of the leaves; he was so embarrassed when I asked him to stop the car so I could get out and take pictures of trees in peoples' yards!  He also thought I was crazy for wanting to rake leaves (I did it to be able to jump in the pile of leaves, of course!  :-)).



No comments:

Post a Comment