Monday, September 14, 2015

How's the Weather?

My 96-year-old oma (grandmother in Dutch, my dad's family is from Holland) lives in California like the rest of my family and checks the weather in Jacksonville in the newspaper every day (She had all boys, who had more boys, and I am her only favorite granddaughter.  :-)).  When I talk to her every other week, the topic of weather always comes up.  Why?  Weather is something that happens all the time, all around us, so we are constantly observing it.

It is only about 4 weeks into the school year, but have you observed any changes in the world around you?  We're just a little over a week away from the Fall Equinox (which is September 23 this year), or the first day of Fall.  To understand the reasons for and effects of seasons in our Science studies this year, first we must be able to make observations and collect data about our climate, which is related to, but different than weather.

Need a refresher about weather and climate?  Have you heard about Study Jams?


Study Jams are terrific Math and Science tutorials that are great for introducing or reviewing concepts.  Watch this Study Jam on Weather & Climate to prepare for upcoming reading, discussions, and activities we'll be doing to explain why we have seasons!

Have you ever lived somewhere other than Florida?  Where?  What is the climate like during the different seasons of the year there?  Post your response below or write it down and bring it to class this week to earn Chief Cash for Always Doing Your Best!

I was born and raised in San Diego, California, but have lived in Jacksonville nearly half of my life.


San Diego's climate is similar to Jacksonville's in that there are not huge differences between seasons.  San Diego's temperatures, like Jacksonville's, are mostly mild throughout the year.  However, in San Diego, the air is much drier, and San Diego receives a lot less precipitation than we do here in Jacksonville.  Summers in San Diego are warm and dry, winters are cooler and dry.  It is strange to think that I never owned a winter coat until I moved to Florida!  :-)

22 comments:

  1. Gabi Drugg

    I lived in North Georgia for 2 years. Summer was very hot like Florida, and winter was freezing and we had snow. It seemed like we had different seasons than Florida. The leaves fell sooner and the weather got colder sooner. We did not get to swim in the pools as long as Florida either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Atlanta twice--once in November and another time in early Spring. During the Spring trip, I was comfortable leaving Florida, but freezing and had to wear my husband's fleece jacket for the whole weekend once we got there!

      Delete
  2. I have always lived in Florida. I have family that lives in Kentucky. I have visited there when it was winter and it snows there. I have never seen snow in Florida. Sometimes in winter it starts off cold in the morning and gets hot in the afternoon.
    Julia B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Kentucky, but my husband is from Virginia. It seems like we just miss the snow every time we visit!

      Delete
  3. I was also born in San Diego and lived there all my life until this past February. I completely agree that the weather is similar to Florida except there is no humidity in SD so it is a bit more comfortable there. The ocean is much much colder there though!

    Mia F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, especially about the difference in ocean temperatures! And most people don't expect the "June gloom" (marine layer) around the coast in San Diego.

      Delete
  4. I was born in Florida, but visited San Diego this summer. San Diego was very cool and windy, but when we got back to Florida, it was super hot and the humidity was horrible! The Pacific Ocean was freezing. I do not know how my brother surfed in the freezing water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your brother wear a wetsuit? My husband surfs in some ridiculously cold temperatures here in Winter! He tries to get me to go surfing with him, but I told him not if I have to wear a wetsuit!

      Delete
  5. I was born in Erie, Pennsylvania. I lived there most of my life. The climate there is very different from the climate here in Jacksonville. The climate in Erie is very cold in the winter because it snows a lot there during the fall and winter months and sometimes it snows in the spring. The summer climate is not as hot as it is here in Jacksonville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Erie, but I've been to Philadelphia in late Spring, and it was pleasant!

      Delete
  6. I was born in orange park Florida. Over the summer I visited California. The weather in California is not humid or as damp as in Jacksonville. Its so hot in the summer but the water is also super hot I think its because of the sun but at night its very cold in California. In Florida its hot at night and day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I always tell people to bring a sweater, even if you're visiting in Summer, because when the sun goes down, it gets chilly! I like to run when I visit California in the summer, especially in the morning when there's still a chill in the air. Even if I get a late start, it might be sunny and warm, but at least I can breathe easily!

      Delete
  7. Last year I went skiing in Utah. There are a bunch of mountains and it is very snowy. This is different than Jacksonville. It is hot most of the time here. It is much colder in Utah than Jacksonville. It is very unlikely that it will be hot like Jacksonville because of the elevation of the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Utah, but would love to take a trip out west to that region one day. My husband planned our (surprise) anniversary trip last year, and he almost picked Utah (he has been to Logan/Cache Valley), but at the last minute decided to plan a trip to Nicaragua. Great connection to elevation's role in climate!

      Delete
  8. Hi Mrs.Remley I'm Aaron Meade I can't believe that it rained to times in a row and it hailed once at Jacksonville Before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived here 15 years and have seen some crazy weather! I'll never forget when school closed for 2 days (on my birthday!) in 2004 for Hurricane Frances. Hurricane season is always an exciting time at our house because hurricanes make waves, and my husband surfs.

      Delete
  9. Mrs.Remley Florida dosen't snow because the equator.the closer you are the more hotter it is.Question is there a core to earth yes or no if there is how hot is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most scientists think Earth has a core that is molten (melted) rock. I don't know exactly how hot it is, but if you do some research and find out, post to let us know! Remember to tell us your source!

      Delete
  10. this winter break iam go to new york to see snow i wonder how cold it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing snow it snow is cool (haha). I have been to New York, but it was in late Spring. What reference materials could you use to find out more about New York's climate?

      Delete
  11. MAIN:I was born in Brooklyn may 26.I only go to brooklyn if it is summer but not winter.when i was two i went to china because i had bad behavior it was hot there when i first came to china it have so many flies,mosquito and bugs then the time it is winter it didn't snow i don't now or it was close to the Equator.Mostly it was cold cold cold i stay in bed all day.I had to do this for four years then i came to Florida to learn English at 2011 long times now i know very less Chinese because English take over my brain.LOL :,:3,:D,XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about bugs! I couldn't believe how many there were when I moved to Florida!

      Delete