Monday, October 22, 2012

Red Ribbon Week

Coincidentally (I love it when that happens!)  our Second Step lesson this morning was Dealing with Peer Pressure.  We had some great discussion about when peer pressure is good (encouraging someone to try harder, make better choices, or do the right thing) and when it is bad (when someone tries to get you to say or do something you know is unsafe, unfair, or hurtful).  We came up with a plan for dealing with peer pressure:
To tie this lesson into Red Ribbon Week, we discussed how most likely, our peers (not strangers) will be the people who try to get us to use drugs or bully others and how difficult it can be to have courage and say no to our friends.  We practiced using assertive "I" statements to let people know what we think or want in a polite, strong way.  This often stops things from getting worse.  For example: "I'm sorry to hear that.  You're my friend, but my answer is still no."

We had a great turnout for Wear Red Day:



Our amazing PTA provided students with red wristbands today so we can express our commitment to stay drug and bully-free.  Students--make sure you wear your bracelet every day this week!

For homework tonight, your student will be creating a red (construction paper) ribbon listing the reasons s/he has for staying drug-free.  I gave a few examples in class today:
I stay drug-free so I can love my family and show my friends I care about them.
I stay drug-free so I can do things I enjoy like running.
I stay drug-free so I can think clearly and do my job.
I stay drug-free so I can feel and look my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment