Monday, September 24, 2012

Let's Get Visual

The ability to visualize ("see") numbers is one of the most powerful math strategies. Visualizing allows us to better understand how numbers are built and how they interact with each other. Two new strategies for most third graders are number lines
and bar diagrams
Though it may seem like you want to pull out your hair inefficient at times, I encourage you to be persistent. I highly recommend having students use one of these visual strategies on homework and assignment corrections. Honestly, I would rather have fewer problems completed on homework that show deeper understanding (just write me a note on the homework stating that this was what the student was able to do in the 20-25 minutes allotted for math). There is a time and place for "shortcuts", but most rob students of developing strong number sense if they are taught by themselves. From this point forward, I will post our math anchor charts on our class blog, so you can see which strategy (or strategies) students are learning in class. I often modify or combine strategies the textbook for the sake of simplicity or building greater number sense. For example, here are my preferred ways to teach rounding:
(A Note of Encouragement for Our Students: Just as you edit and revise your pieces in Writer's Workshop, us teachers sometimes make MANY revisions on our charts before the "perfect" ones you see in class get posted. One of these charts required three revisions on notebook paper before I was satisfied and wrote it on chart paper. One of them has a title that I cut and pasted after deciding to change it. And there is even white out on one of the charts. :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment