Sunday, October 9, 2011

Surrounded by Rounding!

Sorry it has been so long since I've blogged...our days have been spent working towards our goal of conferencing with every student's parent and getting adjusted to our three-teacher team. We're loving meeting with you guys and are thankful for your interest in your student's progress and the concerns you've shared. We value your feedback and consider it when planning instruction. I especially want to thank everyone for hanging in there this first quarter of math...as I've said to many of you during our conferences (and just about every parent over my last 8 years teaching third grade), it's a big jump from second grade math, especially in the areas of number and operations. We're just going to keep working...taking our time in these areas this first quarter and then constantly reviewing!
On Friday, I introduced students to rounding in a fun and practical way...we looked at a receipt from one of my recent trips to the grocery store and practiced rounding the cost of several items to the nearest dollar. We had some great conversation about how to use the half-way point ($0.50 in our practice rounding to the nearest dollar), thinking about if the cost of the item was less/greater than half-way to help us round. We will continue to use this strategy this week as we ramp up instruction, rounding through hundred thousands (hopefully) by the end of the week. I posted a few good websites I've found on here for some additional practice with rounding. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment